Tuesday, June 19, 2007

3

It has been hard for me to “choose” the director that I would want to see make this film. Although I do enjoy Wes Anderson’s quirky and unique style, I agree with whoever said he wouldn’t be right for this project. And even though there is an off-beat awkwardness to Blue’s character, the book (and therefore the movie) is from her point of view, which seems to be more romantic. It seems as if she sees, not just Hannah, but everyone that she is close with as incredibly beautiful (Bluebloods, her father, Zach). I picture her viewing the other characters in the story the way that the boys in “Virgin Suicides” see the Libson sisters. On the other hand, she seems sees herself as the odd man out, the usually unnoticed observer. Even when she becomes one of the Bluebloods she doesn’t appear to have the same self-confidence that the others do. I thought this was most noticeable when she described the way she felt and looked in the various dresses that Jade lent her (a giant, puffy marshmallow…or something to that effect).

Therefore, I think whoever directs the movie should be someone who can capture the awe that Blue has for these people. However, in the middle of the book, it seems that she sees them more clearly, more real. Part of me wants to say that Baz Luhrmann (Red curtain trilogy) would work, but I know there are many people who find his directing style a little too—whatever. After seeing “Heavenly Creatures” Peter Jackson could be a good candidate. Both of those directors do a nice job of seeing the fantasy and bring that to life. Although, as I said before, the middle gets more realistic, Blue’s story still has an element of the fantastic in it (as her father said, “a person must have a magnificent reason for writing out his or her Life Story and expecting anyone to read it”).

No comments: