Monday, June 25, 2007

post 4

I generally agree with what Ryan is saying about how the book provides a lot of detail, which makes adaptation extremely hard. However, I think that knowing the ending makes it easier to choose the parts of the book to keep, like the way Coppola told his daughter to focus on one word (I haven’t thought of one yet). This may make the film more predictable, but in a best case scenario, it could be watched like a detective story, where the audience tries to piece everything together with Blue. I also agree that the third part of the book contains many important events which would weaken the film if left out.

I am having a hard time figuring what to include, therefore in this post I’m just going to try and breakdown all of, what I think, are the “significant” points. I think I’ve said some of this before, but actually typing it out helps me, so I’m sorry if this seems repetitive and bear with me as I ramble…

  1. Introduction
    1. Something fast paced and loaded with information (like “Rushmore”/”Amelie” where the audience gets to know each character quickly)
  2. Relationship with Bluebloods
    1. This is where Blue does most of her typical coming of age. Her integration into a group, the Sunday dinners, the bars, the nights at Jade’s.

i. However, each time we see Blue with them something should be revealed about either Hannah or her father (something significant)

    1. This relationship takes the place of her fathers

i. The book seems to focus on how she moves of without her father, which is definitely emphasized at the end.

    1. Also at the end, you realize that these people were more superficially her friends.
  1. Relationship with Hannah
    1. Hannah provides the main conflict, especially since her death is known from the beginning.
    2. It seems as if with both the Blueblood and with her father, Blue sort of floats around without any real purpose. Hannah seems to provide the main conflict, which moves the story along.
  2. Relationship with her father
    1. This is one of the most important, as many people have said.
    2. He is basically her whole world.
    3. The end of this relationship could be seen also as coming of age. Blue is now finally able to move on with her life without her father, literally. His leaving seemed like a mentor letting his pupil go it alone and knowing that they will be okay.
  3. Relationship with Zach
    1. Although all through the majority of the book, Blue seems to dislike this character, in the end, he is the only one who is still there for her.
    2. I suppose you could cut him out completely and focus on the other relationships in order to tighten the narrative, but I personally like they way the book ends with him.
  4. Nightwatchmen
    1. I think this should be hinted at as much as possible, along with Hannah’s out of place quality and mystery.

i. The Paris part, the Manson book, etc.

    1. This seems to be the big payoff and the conclusion of her relationships with her father and Hannah
  1. End
    1. The graduation scene I believe is important, and I would like too see it all, but if there is no room for it I would suggest cutting to her valedictorian speech.

i. I felt that this part of the book was mainly about her being able to move on her own and just being at the graduation proves that.

    1. If it were up to me I would definitely keep the end end, with the umbrella. Perhaps even with voiceover.

I am probably missing some things, but I guess these would be the main things that I would try to incorporate and use to focus the adaptation. It seems like there are almost two coming-of-ages, which Ryan acknowledge in his post: “It is like mixing Mean Girls and Chinatown into one movie.” Somehow both have to be accounted for if possible.

One thing that I don’t think is necessary is all the June Bugs. It would be good to note them in the beginning as part of her father’s introduction, but other than that I don’t see them as necessary. Even Eva Brewster’s part doesn’t really work for me. I’m not sure why, but that part just really bothered me and I don’t think (I could be wrong) it should be in the movie. The only importance that it seems to have is that it establishes her father’s lying. However, other instances from the book could substitute that, for example, the part of the book when she finds the price tag on the desk.

I also don’t think that her depression and shock (both after she is saved from the mountain and after her realization that her father is gone) towards the end of the film is as important because there is so much else going on. I think a short voiceover, or quick montage, could explain everything without taking up that much screen time.


I’m sure that ultimately a large chunk of the narrative needs to be cutout or changed since that’s what some of the better adaptations have done. However, if that is done then the storyline that they choose has to be portrayed really well. In my opinion the best adaptations either follow the book exactly, or are different enough for the two to be able to stand alone without comparison. For example, many things were changed and left out of “Bridget Jones’s Diary” and “LA Confidential,” but both were very enjoyable for readers and nonreaders.

No comments: