Tuesday, June 26, 2007

post 5 actors

I personally think that Blue should be cast as a complete unknown because she describes herself as Jane Goodall. She is someone who can walk amongst the gorillas unnoticed. Therefore, the actress who plays Blue shouldn’t already be a star. However, the look that I see Blue having is that of a young Christina Ricci or a young “Beetlejuice”-“Heathers” era Winonna Rider (who someone mentioned would now make a good Hannah). Both actresses have a similar look that could be taken as “owl like” and would be convincing before and after the makeover.

I like what was mentioned in class about having all the Bluebloods be the opposite of Blue, and be a household name. However, the biggest difficulty would be finding these actors since this decade does not have a “Brat Pack,” or really much a teen star system. I guess the best place to look is Disney. In the past they have started careers of many young actors. Most recent examples: Hillary Duff and Lindsay Lohan (who are now both past their prime, at least in my opinion).

As far as the adults go, I agree with Keegan’s choice of Naomi Watts for Blue’s mother Natasha. She does seem to have that more timeless and wholesome beauty that seems to characterize her. If you think of Peter Jackson’s “King Kong” she completely looked the part of the 30’s starlet. However, for Hannah I have been leaning more towards Nicole Kidman, despite her hair color (which could be easily fixed) and the fact that she has been making some poor role choices recently…Anyways, I thought of her because she has that way of standing out “like an ostrich among buffalo” (Cold Mountain and To Die For, which I think both we set in small towns where her character always looked some what out of place). Plus she and Naomi Watts are known friends which could add an interesting dynamic to the whole Natasha and Hannah relationship.

For some reason I keep thinking of Hugh Laurie for Gareth. I don’t think he has the right look, but I think there are parallels between Gareth and his character House, from “House.” For example (if you don’t know the show) House is this brilliant doctor who has this near encyclopedic knowledge of things, which he tends to use against people. This reminds me of the way Blue describes the way Gareth deals with people that he doesn’t want to bother with. Also with House, there is a fine line between loving him and hating him, which I think is the same with Gareth. There are moments for both when it seems like deep down there is a nice guy who truly cares about his patients (House)/daughter (Gareth). However, sometimes House is the egomaniac who likes to experiment with patients, and Gareth is the jackass who abandoned his daughter.

No comments: